Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Warehouse Bar and Grill

I took David to The Warehouse Bar and Grill because I couldn't remember whether I liked The Wharf or Fish Market better. All three Old Town restaurants are on the same block of King Street right before the water. The Warehouse isn't a warehouse at all, more like a townhouse. It has a stairwell filled with caricature portraits, some 3-Dimensional. It looked like a slow night, but there were several elderly people there. Always a good sign. Old people take their food seriously.

David and I both got cups of she crab soup, one of my favorite dishes in the world. It's a southeastern favorite but made best - in my opinion - with Maryland blue crab. Recipes vary but always involves the meat, fats and roe of female crabs, cream, and sherry. It's awesome, somewhere between a chowder and a bisque.

The waiter forgot my chopped "Jackson" salad, so I can't review it. But the ingredients sounded good: "Hearts of palm, crisp crumbled bacon, chopped egg, tomato, onion, corn and Iowa Maytag blue cheese with balsamic vinaigrette."

I also had one of their "specialty sandwiches," The General Braddock. It's a butterflied filet mignon cooked to order (medium rare, of course) on French bread dressed with lettuce and tomatoes. It reminds me of a New Orleans po' boy, a very good thing. It's also topped with Monterey Jack cheese, garlic mayonnaise, and Cajun onion straws. (What makes them Cajun, I don't know. Maybe the fact that they're delicious?) It comes with fries, which I didn't realize, so I suppose it's good he forgot the salad.

Being both so full, we split a dessert after slowly eliminating all the options down to the least heavy. We split a slice of pecan pie a la mode. Nothing new but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
214 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
703.683.6868
http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/Warehouse.htm

No comments: